If you’ve been keeping up with my plan to keep only the foods I’ll actually cook in the pantry (as in, my plan to stop hoarding), then you’ve probably realized I have no idea how this is going to go.
But I haven’t even started to worry about my grand plan to cook 10 recipes or less – with 10 ingredients or less – every single week. For now, I’m just trying to empty out the pantry without wasting anything so I can get to Pantry Level Zero.
When I made this resolution to use up everything in the pantry, I didn’t realize I had 4 lbs. of cake flour, 3 lbs. of corn meal, and 9 types of vinegar hiding in various bins and at the back of cluttered shelves.
And beans. A lot of beans.
But weirdly, the 4 lbs. of dried beans don’t even feel like too much. I’m actually concerned about ever going a week without a mountain of beans, which I’m sure I’ll have to do before I get to Pantry Level Zero.
And what do I plan to make with all these beans? Anything! Soups, spreads, salads, and anything that goes in a bowl. This week, I cooked up the pound of pintos and took us on a Tex-Mex adventure. Here’s the first lunch I made with them:
- ¾ cup pinto beans
- ¾ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of ½ lime
- Corn chips
- To prepare pinto beans, rinse and soak a pound of beans overnight. Drain and rinse in lukewarm water. In a large pot, cover with filtered water (about 6-8 cups). Add ½ a peeled white onion and 2 peeled, whole garlic cloves. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 45 minutes - 1.5 hours, checking frequently for doneness and adding water if the beans start to emerge on the surface.
- To prepare rice, rinse 2 cups brown rice, then add to a 2-3 qt. pot and cover with 4 cups filtered water. Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- There are 2 ways to heat your Tex-Mex bowl:
- The fast way: Add beans and rice to your bowl, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 45 seconds - 1 minute.
- The yummier way: In a large steamer pot, place beans and rice in 2 glass bowls and steam gently until heated through, about 5 minutes. Scoop rice and beans into your bowl.
- Top rice and beans with salsa, cilantro, and and fresh lime juice.
- Enjoy with a handful of corn chips.
The Waco Vegan is no longer updated. You can find me over at RandleBrowning.com instead.