For most of my life, I considered the most indulgent, delicious foods to be the ones that were bad for you.
Blizzards from Dairy Queen, chocolate cream pie from a box, chocolate soufflés with buckets of fresh cream…
…not exactly health foods.
But now that my plant-based diet has totally changed the way I eat, I’ve noticed something.
Almost all of my “indulgent” foods are also good for me. It’s pretty mind-boggling.
Take this Caramel Crunch Smoothie. In any normal context (like, a Starbuck’s-y context), anything with the words “caramel” and “crunch” in it would be loaded with weird, manufactured sugars, syrups, and partially hydrogenated oils.
But not this smoothie! It’s only got 5 ingredients, and it gets its sweetness from whole dates.
If you’ve never tried dates before, or if their wrinkly exterior has been putting you off, now is the moment to really give them a chance. A date is kind of like a prune’s younger, cooler sister. It’s juicy, sweet, and—rather than cloying—caramely and almost toasty in flavor.
Since most traditional caramels are made with heavy cream, dates are a healthier—dare I say—tastier, plant-based alternative.
But enough about the logistics. Here’s what you need to know:
This smoothie has a rich, caramel flavor, a smooth, creamy texture, and just the right amount of graham cracker crunch mixed in.
And the best part? Since it’s packed with energizing ingredients and nutrients, you can enjoy it as a breakfast drink, an afternoon snack, or a dessert. 🙂
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 Medjool dates
- ½ cup frozen banana (about ½ medium banana)
- 1 sheet of 4 graham crackers
- In a blender, combine almond milk and oats, and purée until completely smooth.
- Remove the pits from the dates, and add them to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the frozen banana, and blend until smooth.
- Add most of the graham cracker, and pulse a few times for a crunchy texture, or blend until smooth.
- Serve and crumble remaining graham cracker crumbs on top.
The Waco Vegan is no longer updated. You can find me over at RandleBrowning.com instead.