This is what breakfast looks like the day after you decide to drain your pantry and end the cycle of food waste.
…pretty much the same. I’m still swimming in curry spice and almond meal.
I’ve been drinking variations of this smoothie for weeks, though, ever since I got Tara Stiles’s new book and tried her strawberry shortcake smoothie.
I had never thought about putting oats in a smoothie. I mean…ew…grainy?
But the oats actually get liquid-y and give the smoothie a cake batter-y flavor and texture. The cinnamon and boozy vanilla add to that too.
Anyway, I got so hooked on this cake in a cup that I bought a TON of frozen berries and a giant bag of oats. I have a feeling that after I get to Pantry Level Zero, I’ll immediately go buy more oats and frozen berries, just so I can make this. We’ll see.
For now, I’ve got a 5 lb. bag of oats and a mission to empty the pantry. Challenge accepted.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup water or nut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 frozen banana (about 1 cup), or 1 fresh banana and ½ cup ice cubes
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- In a blender, combine oats and water/nut milk. Blitz until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blitz until smooth. If too thick, add a bit more water/nut milk.
The Waco Vegan is no longer updated. You can find me over at RandleBrowning.com instead.