Hey! I’m Randle and The Waco Vegan was my blog.
These days I write over at RandleBrowning.com instead, but I’ve left this site as it was so you can explore the archives. Enjoy!
In 2013, I moved to Waco to get married. It was exciting and terrifying! After traveling the world after college and living in Boston for grad school, coming back to Waco—a small, conservative town of around 130,000—gave me major culture shock. But it was worth it. 😉
Like many Waco transplants (and born and raised Wacoans!), I kinda have a love/hate thing going. One day I LOVE the small, local community and the other perks of living here (like the insanely low housing prices and the almost complete absence of traffic). Other days, I feel like I would do anything to eat at a fancy restaurant, go to a nice concert, or have an international airport.
Being vegan in Waco
And things got even more complicated when I went vegan in 2014. I’ll give you the long version of that sometime, but the TD;LR is:
- My vegan cousin visited Waco and I ate vegan with her for 2 weeks to make it easier for us to find food (beef basically runs this town).
- In that time, my chronic allergies and stomach issues all but cleared up, and I went from taking 4–5 types of medicine per day to taking just an antihistamine.
- I watched a ton of videos about the meat and dairy industry and I decided veganism wasn’t just good for me, but also for animals and the planet in general.
- I committed to a vegan lifestyle…
…and galloped off into the sunset! Erm, actually, it’s been tough sometimes.
That’s where this blog comes in. I want to share what it’s like being in Waco or in any small town like mine, where it’s a struggle to find vegan food (or make vegan friends!).
Why The Waco Vegan?
The Waco Vegan is for:
- Vegans hiding in Waco. OMG come find me. The best way is to send me a DM on Instagram (@randlebrowning). #wacovegansunite
- Other vegans living in smaller towns. We can do this!
- The vegan-curious. Come hang out if you’re interested in eating more plants.
- Basically anyone obsessed with Chip and Joanna Gaines and Fixer Upper who wants to read everything they can about Waco. #shiplap
In other words, if you are interested in Waco or veganism or both, you’re in the right place.